[buildgear-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Build Gear version 0.9.16beta
martin.lund at keep-it-simple.com
Tue Apr 2 07:53:18 MDT 2013
Build Gear version 0.9.16beta is now available:
This is a feature and bug fix release.
Among various bug fixes and cleanups the two most notable new features
are contributed by Jesper Larsen. This include support for secure
downloading of source via ftps:// and https:// type URLs and support for
SVG load chart generation for profiling system CPU and memory load
during the build process.
Also, the first draft of the Build Gear Handbook documentation has been
added and is available online:
Please notice that this documentation is currently considered incomplete
and draft quality. The documentation is expected to improve over the
=== Build Gear v0.9.16beta ===
Changes since Build Gear v0.9.15beta:
* Added handbook documentation (draft)
This is the first draft of the Handbook documenation. It is currently
considered incomplete and draft quality. It will steadily improve
* Fixed package creation error
Interupting the package creation step would lead to an incomplete and
corrupt package file. To avoid this the package is now written to a
temporary package file and then in the last step this file is moved to
the final package file.
* Updated config.guess
* Various updates and cleanups
Contributions by Jesper Larsen:
* Support for internal variables in buildfile show
Variables that are provided by the buildgear.sh script was not resolved
in the buildgear show --buildfile command.
A new action "read" has been added to buildgear.sh to present these
variables to the buildgear show --buildfile command
* Set CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL on curl objects
This is a nasty hack to avoid a bug in libcurl. It might result
in undesired behavior, if a DNS lookup hangs.
* Added config for SSL certificate location
The buildgear config file (.buildgear/config) now supports a paramerter
'certificate_dir'. This parameter can be used to set a custom location
of SSL certificates. Default for the parameter is a empty string. This
makes libcurl choose a location. On Ubuntu that resolves to
* Support for libcurl-gnutls and libcurl-openssl
The configure script now accepts both libraries
* Added init --buildfile option to help
* Do not make error if /bin/sh links to /bin/bash
* Added a load chart feature
If a --load-chart option is given to the build command, the CPU load
and memory usage will be recorded throughout the build. When the build
is finished the loads are rendered in a svg file that shows the
The svg with the data is located in build/output/load-chart.<build
* Added unzip as a run-time dependency
* Fix extract of .tgz and .txz files
* Include optional error message in check functions
* Make tar itself determine the compression type
* Add a "Cleaning work dir" step in the output
Cleaning a large work dir can take some time. Include a step in the
to reflect the progress of doing this.
* Fix support for alternative source dir
* Rename check_lib to check_exist in template
* Added --buildfile option to init
A template for Buildfiles is installed. Running init --buildfile will
use the template to create a new Buildfile in the current directory.
If a build name is given, this will be inserted in the name variable of
* Introduce lock file for the build root
A lock file is used to ensure that multiple instances of buildgear
are not allowed to run, if they have the possibility of changing data.
I.e. you cannot run two build commands in the same root dir, but
allowed to run a build command and a show --log commmand.
* Various updates and cleanups
More information about the buildgear-devel