[buildgear-devel] Buildgear: build failure for u-boot

Martin Lund martin.lund at keep-it-simple.com
Tue Jun 10 03:55:31 MDT 2014

Hi Lad,

On 2014-06-10 09:47, Prabhakar Lad wrote:
> I tried doing this but it failed again, so I tried version 1.17.0 this
> worked fine
> for me.
I've just updated the repository to use crosstool-ng 1.19 and
successfully built both u-boot and fs on ubuntu 14.04.

I will not recommend going back to crosstool-ng 1.17 :)

>> Actually, I was about to update our beaglebone distribution but since you
>> have this issue I will update the pandaboard distribution asap - that should
>> fix your issue.
>>
> I see lots of failures with other packages too, which I am manually
> fixing them up.

As you can see the pandaboard repository has not been updated for a long
time so I would expect you to run into source download issues etc..

However, I've just updated the pandaboard buildfiles submodules
(cross-core, cross-opt, etc.) which should fix any build/download issues
that you might have experienced.

It build on my ubuntu 14.04 system but I have not tested the final fs
image. I need to go fire up my pandaboard :)

Also, I expect to soon update the buildfiles in core, opt, extra - it's
been about 3-4 months since the last major update. There are some
interesting updates, in particular a new systemd version.

> Is there any Doc which tells about how to add your own custom library ? Also can
> buildgear be used to build applications too for that firmware built ?

Not specifically, but its quite easy to add your own buildfile(s) that
include any library or application that you wish.

I would recommend that you that a look at the existing buildfiles. I'm
sure you will find them easy to understand because of the simple
structure that they reflect. One of the main points of the build gear
buildfiles is to make them really easy to engage and understand (which
is directly opposite to other build systems such as eg. openembedded).

To begin, you could simply add your own submodule next to eg.
cross-core, for example a cross-lad and here include your custom library
and/or application. Also, remember to include the library or application
in the fs buildfile depends line or else it will not be included in the
fs build.

For documentation there is the build gear handbook:
http://buildgear.org/handbook.php

The handbook should give you tidbits of good information - however it is
not quite complete yet.

Btw, to speed up your fs build drastically I recommend to change the
default parallel build level from 1 to 4:
buildgear config parallel_builds 4

The default level for pandaboard is 1.

Also, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)

/Martin