[buildgear-devel] BSP/Board Support?

Martin Lund martin.lund at keep-it-simple.com
Fri Apr 12 11:37:19 MDT 2013

Also, I forgot to add... yes - the Mini Distribution does support more
hardware.

We plan to make the Mini Distribution support the most popular open
source hardware. At the moment this includes Pandaboard and Raspberry Pi.

Soon we will add support for the popular Beaglebone.

Also, if you go the the github mini distribution organization page
(https://github.com/mini-distribution), you can find a Mini Distribution
for i686-generic which should work on most intel HW.

In general we (Build Gear maintainers) don't want to maintain support
for too many boards. The whole point of Build Gear is that it is very
easy to make the Mini Distribution support your own hardware.

To make the Mini Distribution support your own custom hardware all you
basically have to do is fork eg. the pandaboard repository, rename your
fork, replace the board specific build files, and adjust the global
configuration (config/config) to reflect your toolchain changes (in
particuar the HOST system name). The board specific build files include
eg. the toolchain (native-pandaboard/crosstool-ng), the bootloader
(cross-panda/u-boot), the linux kernel (native-pandaboard/linux-source,
cross-pandaboard/linux), and of course the fs (cross-panda/fs) which
defines what features you want to included in your file system for your
particular board. Also, make sure your kernel enables the required
options to support systemd.

Also, if one of the generic build files in eg. cross-core or cross-opt
does not fit your particular needs you can easily override/overlay it
with your own using the Build Gear layer feature. We keep cross-core and
cross-opt fairly full featured and up to date. We also try to keep
cross-extra up to date. If you find any missing features in the existing
build files we happily accept patches or pull requests on github :)

/Martin